Saturday 8 July 2017

Bilgi Bakes | Summer Cottage Carrot Cake


So it has been a while since I shared one of my baking posts with you all because I have been so busy doing 101 things as of late. However I have found the time to get back to the whisk and on this particular occasion, I decided to make a traditional carrot cake with frosting, the full details of which I have included further down in the post. It's been a busy month for me, as I was away abroad for part of it, working and just generally doing everything to keep on top of stuff. So taking a bit of time to just bake this cake was really fun and the outcome was oh-so worth it! So, back to the baking. I think carrot cake is somewhat overshadowed by other varieties, but I happen to love it and hadn't baked one for ages, so I whipped one up. The full recipe and 'how to' follows so you can give this a go should you feel inclined. It's a fab weekend or Friday night mini-project and everyone you live with will thank you!





This cake recipe is one I have used from Mary Berry, the Queen of baking. The frosting is from a separate Be-Ro recipe book from the 1960s as I think fairy cake icing is just nicer than the cream cheese one that's usually used for carrot cake. But feel free to use whichever variety appeals to you most.
 
For the cake
225g of light brown sugar / Demerara sugar
300g self-raising flour
4 free range / organic eggs
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of baking powder
200g of carrot (grated)
230ml of sunflower oil
75g of walnuts, chopped
 
For the frosting
100g butter
50g of icing sugar
a few drops of vanilla extract

How To
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease two deep 20cm tins and line the bases of the cake tins with baking parchment to prevent the cakes from sticking.

2. Place the oil, eggs, and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Whisk until the mixture is well combined, lighter, and noticeably thickened. Gently fold the carrot into the cake mix, then stir in the flour, baking powder, mixed spice, ginger, and chopped walnuts until evenly blended.

3. Spoon the mixture evenly between the tins. Put the cakes in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown, risen, and shrinking away from the sides of the tins. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

4. For the icing: Put the butter and icing sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk using a hand or electric whisk until smooth and thoroughly blended together.

5. Spread half the icing on one cake, sit the other cake on top, and spread the remaining icing on top to make a swirl pattern. If you like, you can make extra and put it on the side of the cake too so that you can decorate it with walnut pieces for extra yum! Decorate the top of the cake with the halved walnuts.


6. This cake goes oh-so well with a cup of tea! (nb: I would recommend Earl Grey because that's my favourite!)




 
I will be making sure I try out some new recipes this summer and will post them up on here too once I have. Let me know if you give this cake a whirl in the comments! Bilgi x
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Coconut Couture | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig